My boyfriend started a new job today and I wanted to make him a treat to celebrate. This olive oil cake is a great everyday cake that’s really simple to make. It’s not too sweet and would pair really well with fresh whipped cream or honey. The outside is nice and crunchy with a soft, moist center. It’s also a recipe that lends itself well to lots of tweaking. Nuts or fruit would be a great addition.
2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3/4 Cup Milk
Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a loaf pan.
2. Lay cornflakes on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, milk, and eggs.
5. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry and add lemon zest. Transfer the batter into the pan and top with cornflakes.
6. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.