When I set out to make dinner one night, I found some eggplant, zucchini, arugula and basil that all needed to be used up soon, before everything went bad so I boiled up some pasta and tossed everything together with a little pesto. This pasta is a great way to use up a lot of summer produce. I tend to make my pasta very vegetable heavy, so this recipe calls for very little actual pasta.
2 oz. Whole Wheat Shells
1 Eggplant, cubed
1 Zucchini, halved and sliced thin
2 C. Arugula
1/2 C. Pesto
1/2 Tsp. Red pepper flakes, according to taste
1. Boil pasta according to package directions.
2. Saute eggplant and zucchini in olive oil until soft but not mushy.
3. Add the pasta to the pan with the vegetables along with 1/4 cup of the pasta water. The starch from the pasta water will help bind everything together to make more of a sauce.
4. Toss with arugula, pesto and cheese and add basil to garnish.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.