Chili is a great one-pot meal. It’s a great way to feed a crowd. It’s also a great dish to make on Sunday and eat through the week. During the hurricane we had here in the Northeast, I cooked a lot. Chili was a great dinner on the nights we had to walk to and from work that week when we needed nourishment from the long walks and bitter cold.
The weather here in New York has turned from pleasantly brisk to frigid; requiring ear muffs and gloves rather than just making sure you’re wearing your flats and not your flip-flops. It’s nice to come home to a warm and spicy meal that can be heated up in the microwave.
I like to add lots of toppings when I make chili. My favorites are cheddar, sour cream, cilantro and tortilla chips or cornbread.
1 Package Bacon, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 Lb. Ground Beef
1 Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Can Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
1 24 oz. Can Chopped Tomatoes
1 12 oz. bottle beer, I use Brooklyn Lager
1 C. Water
1 Onion, chopped
1 Red Pepper, chopped
4 Chipotle Peppers, in Adobo
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
1/4 tsp. Cayenne
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Add bacon to a large pot and brown on medium heat until crispy. Take the bacon out of the pot, making sure to leave the bacon fat in the pan.
2. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the onions and peppers to the bacon fat. Cook until soft and translucent.
3. Add the chipotle peppers, chili powder, paprika, smoked paprika and cayenne. When the vegetables have absorbed some of the spices, deglaze the pot with some but not all of the beer, making sure to scrape up any brown bits.
4. Take the onions and peppers out and add them to the same bowl as the bacon.
5. Add the ground beef to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook all the way through and strain out any excess liquid and fat from the ground beef.
6. Add the bacon, onions and pepper back to the pot with the ground beef. Add the rest of the beer, the tomatoes and all the beans along with the water.
7. Stir everything together and cook until desired thickness.